May 30, 2014

Life Cycle of a Chicken Plus Egg Science

What a wonderful week we have had, learning all about chickens. I would love to actually raise chickens so the kids can see the amazing process in real life. Unfortunately, our neighborhood doesn't allow it, so that will have to wait. I came up with the next best thing for us, a chicken unit study. 
A few of the things I used for our study was the book Where Do Chicks Come From, the Safari Life Cycle of a Chicken figures and Baby Einstein Language Discovery Cards. I also was lucky to have this fun wet felted chicken set from Lavender and Ladybugs . After I had gathered all of the items we were going to use(ahead of time, of course), we were ready to get some learning/fun in.
They all took turns with the flow chart and the life cycle figures. Note to self, make more than one copy when you have four kids working on the same thing ;) 
It worked out though, when the boys were done Bells really got into it. She was able to place all of the figures in the right spot and name them. She was so proud of herself and so was I. YAY!!!  
 If you are interested in the flow chart and the smaller chicken cards they can be found at Learn Create Love. She also colored a chicken coloring page while I was working with the older boys.  

For Little B I added a few Egg language arts activities and they can be found here

In this picture it may look like they are just holding eggs, but actually they are squeezing the eggs as hard as they can. Eggs although they seem easily breakable, they aren't at all. 
Using our eggs and the book Where Do Chicks Come From we examined eggs closely. Searching for the different parts, and of course seeing how it felt. We were even lucky enough to find double yolk eggs to explore.   
We finished up our Egg Science with rolling races on the porch. Do they wobble, do they roll straight? What are some of the questions that need answering about eggs? Isn't that one of the best things about Science? Having questions, making educated guesses, and than actually being able to experiment with the object.

Science Rocks!!!

I am sooooooooooo excited about one of our unit studies for this summer, I honestly can barely wait. Make sure you sign up for our emails and Like us on Facebook so you don't miss out.     


Signature

6 comments:

  1. This looks like a lot of fun! :) My Little Bee loves eggs. He likes to eat them EVERY morning. He signs with his hands the word "egg" and points towards the frying pan. LOL! I will have to check out some of these egg projects soon for Little Bee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to raise chickens as well, but our neighborhood doesn't allow it either. You have done a great job teaching the life cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool way for your kids to experience something that they can't in real life right now. Really cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a need study unit! Love cracking open the eggs and getting a chance to explore that. Science does rock! Pinned so I can remember when my little one gets old enough! - Katie @ A Cup of Tea blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. Looks like your kids had a great time learning about the Life cycle of a Chicken.

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...