April 12, 2014

Orange Scented Natural Play Dough

What fun we had this week exploring scented play dough. As part of our 12 months of sensory dough series, I was really looking forward to this month. Scented dough really brings so many extra things into the experience for the children. 
I choose to explore a natural play dough scented with real orange. YUM!!!   
This is how I set up an invitation to explore with orange scented natural dough.
To me it was a fun set up for toddlers and we were able to work on shapes and the color orange. So we really brought many learning opportunities into this fun activity.
Not only do they get to use their sense of touch, they get to use their sense of smell with this play dough.
As you can see they loved it.  
The recipe for Orange Scented Play Dough
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1 Tbsp. cooking oil
1 Tbsp. cream of tartar
1 cup water
1/2 fresh squeezed orange
orange zest for extra smell and texture
for color- you can use a small .15 oz pack of orange kool-aid or wilton food coloring. Both work great. 
Mix all ingredients (except zest) in pot on low heat for about 5 minutes stirring until it clumps together. When it has formed a ball and doesn't look sticky it is done. 
Let it cool for a few minutes and then add your orange zest(optional) 
PLAY TIME   
The best part of this activity was sitting back and watching the children explore and enjoy this scented dough. I highly suggest you try out scented dough with your children, I am sure they will love it.

Looking for more sensory dough, my Sensory play Pinterest board is filled with hundreds of ideas.
 
Are you ready to check out some other scented dough options?
I've come together with these other fabulous bloggers to bring you 12 scented dough ideas. Check out what they came up with.  

An InLinkz Link-up


Signature

12 comments:

  1. Oh, how wonderful! Looks so vibrant, I can almost smell it! Love how you served it up in an orange half!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oranges smell amazing, so this is the perfect idea for scented dough. Such a fun color too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that her outfit matches the activity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did an orange flavored Kool Aid batch this time around, but I love the idea of using fresh orange in the dough! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I'm so glad you tried it. Go for the fresh next time if you can, so worth it.

      Delete
  5. Yum! I love how you used the orange peel too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just made a batch of this ready for our 'O is for orange' day tomorrow and it smells fantastic - thank-you!

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...