April 19, 2013

Learn and Love the Earth

Earth day is right around the corner so I figured what better time than to teach children the importance of our Earth and how to take care of it. I have always taught my kids all about Reduce, Recycle, and Reuse. Three very important words for the care of the Earth. This year I decided I needed to expand on our knowledge of what Earth really meant. How big that word Earth really is, and all the people, animals, and things that live on Earth. 

To start the boys put together the large Melissa and Doug floor map of the world. We looked at all 7 Continents, discussed the sizes, where they were located, where we lived, the temperatures of the different places, and where we had traveled. What a great learning activity. 


We read lot's of books, and checked out our inflatable globe.


What better way to learn about the Earth than to make your own. The boys made the paper mache mixture (equal parts flour and water), then they got to work.




Little B did a great job too, and he loved getting gooey.


They had to sit for a day to dry.

Then they got to paint them. 





After the blue (water) dried, they were able to add in the Continents and anything else they read about that they wanted to add. 



I think they did an amazing job.

Now they have learned exactly what we have to protect and take care of. 
Our amazing Earth!

Join me for part 2 were we explore ways we can help.

3 comments:

  1. What fun!
    I have to try the paper mache Earth soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your boys enjoy it as much as mine. We had so much fun, it was a great way to start learning the Continents.

      Delete
    2. what did you use to begin with a balloon?

      Delete

your comments make my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...