May 16, 2013

Swimming with the Seahorses

Aren't Seahorse so cool? I mean they have to be one of the cutest fish in the sea. Well at least that's what we think. It's kind of crazy to know that in our ocean (the Atlantic)where the kids swim, jump the waves, and boogy board there are thousands of tiny and not so tiny seahorses swimming around with their fry(baby seahorses). We have spent the month of May exploring all kinds of wonderful things, Seahorses is one of them. We started with reading Mr. Seahorse by Eric Carle. He writes some of my all time favorite children's books.

 We really enjoyed exploring the book,  we found hidden fish, counted babies, and talked about the differences of how different types of sea life carry their babies differently. Did you know that it is the daddy seahorses that carry the babies in their pouch? Also when a seahorse is born it is only 1/2 a centimeter long. That's tiny. The average size of an adult Seahorse is 4-6 inches and it hits adult stage of life at 8 months old.
The boys created a seahorse using the mosaic look, like Eric Carle does in his books.

They did a beautiful job.
Next we talked about how and what seahorses eat. The boys didn't really want to suck up plankton or shrimp, so I decided yogurt would be perfect for them to see what eating like a seahorse was like. They used their straw to suck the yogurt up like a vacuum. They liked it so much they asked for another yogurt. (laughing)
I drew a seahorse on that little white piece of paper(it's approx. 5 in. long-the average seahorse size). We then traced how big everyone was onto butcher paper and measured how many seahorses we would have to stack up to be the same height. (Math and they don't even realize it)
Of course I never want to leave Baby Bell out of our learning, so she got to play with a seahorse too. 
I recommend reading the books Seahorse Fry and Seahorses along with Mr. Seahorse, they are fabulous books packed full of great information. 
Last but definitely not least, the best way to learn about something is to find the real thing and watch it. 
When seahorses sleep they hang onto seaweed with their tail so they won't be swept away from there home.
Little B was fascinated by the seahorses.

Swimming seahorses

The seahorse is back to sleep. 

A few interesting facts we learned about seahorses 
 When seahorses find their mate, they dance together every morning holding on to each other's tail.

After the fry hatch they live in the daddies pouch for 5 days before the daddy pushes them out into the big ocean. 

It takes human's 9 months to grow a child inside of us, it only takes 15 days for a seahorse to hatch.  

A growing baby(fry) seahorse eats thousands of shrimp in one day. An adult seahorse eats 50.

If you are interested in a seahorse pack check out Homeschool share here.

If you haven't purchased Mister Seahorse for your shelves, it's a must have. We love it!


The boys really enjoyed learning all about seahorses. 
I hope you will join us for our next study on Shells and Hermit crabs. 
If you are looking for other great ideas check out my Pinterest board here



16 comments:

  1. Excellent lesson. I loved Eric Carle - one of my favourite children's authors - The Hungry Caterpillar of course. I also loved Keats.
    I have a new book that I wrote and illustrated called Tadeo Turtle - there are activities in the book and a free curriculum available from me.
    Hope you check me out.
    I am linking after you at Family Fun Friday.
    Blessings,
    Janis www.janiscox.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book looks wonderful, it's going on my wish list :)

      Delete
    2. Kim,
      You won't believe this - but I followed you at Crafting Saturdays.. Oh I hope more people click on your lovely post about the Seahorses.
      Many blessings,
      Janis www.janiscox.com

      Delete
  2. Looks like lots of fun. I love all your great ideas. I'll be starting homeschooling with my 3- and 1-year-olds in the fall so I just love reading all I can about good hands-on projects. Found you through Family Fun Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining me. We are loving homeschooling, I hope you do too.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the great review.

    BTW--I have 5 giveaways going on at my site this week if you're interested in stopping over. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    Diane :)
    www.dianeestrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am wondering if MT has any sea horses anywhere... What a cool idea! I really like the math and they didn't know it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our boys adore seahorses. Thanks for such a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seahorses too - so cute! I loved the idea of sucking yogurt through a straw. So clever! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of this Eric Carle book! Looks beautiful, and now I have a little treasure trove of ideas for when we borrow it! (Love the idea of "eating like a seahorse!")

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree! The Eric Carle book is beautiful and these ideas are super fun! I love that the seahorses dance together in the mornings. :) Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely ideas to keep in mind when my little is a bit bigger. I love "The Hungry Caterpillar" but have never heard of this book. I'll have to look out for it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...