September 20, 2013

Apple Week Activities


I'm feeling like apples galore lately in my house and all over the internet, and it's a great feeling. I love apples, I love fall and I love when you can mix learning with fun. So lets get to it.  We have enjoyed Science, Sensory, Math, and Practical Life lessons all with different types of apples.  
Hopefully you haven't missed out on our Ten apples up on top activities, Edible toddler sensory play, and making the easiest and yummiest apple dip ever. If you have, no worries; these links will take you right where you need to go. 
The kids and I are setting up for our annual apple tasting. For the Montessori lovers out there, my kids are doing the cutting themselves. Aren't Apple Slicers awesome? Perfect for their little hands.
These are the apples we choose this week. They are all locally grown, however if they weren't I personally would have made a geography lesson out of it too. Mapping out all of the different apples. 
If you would like to incorporate math like we did, make up a few different graphs for them to use (or have them help make some). We did 3 different types of graphs. Unfortunately I don't have any printable graph charts for you, but this took us two minutes to make up. Not to mention you are now teaching your children graphing. Perfect!! 

Taste testers, I think Blakey is unsure of this one. Of course Little Miss Bell got in on it, she is always part of our daily learning. We used a chart to graph all of the different types of apples, yes it's our math for the day. I love living math. 
All in all I'd say we had happy taste testers. 
I was so excited to find this apple parts printable over at 2 Teaching Mommies. We went over the apple parts while we were tasting them and then did a few fun activities like this afterwards. Great to recap everything we learned, without me having to drill them on it. (You know what I mean-smile)

 At the end of the week the boys wanted to plant all of the apple seeds just like Johnny Appleseed.
It's been a great week and we found out that in our house green apples are always at the top of our chart. Now I'm off for some of that delicious apple dip. Hope to see you here again soon.








8 comments:

  1. very cute!! Will definitely be trying this fun idea !! Love your site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea! My family loves Apples!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing says fall like fresh apples! I love your taste test and graph!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love apples and apple season!!! Such a fun time of year!

    Katie @ Cup of Tea

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is cute, and I remember when both of my kids did this in preschool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that they learn the different kinds of apples!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like great fun! Our boys love apples!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really cute post and looks like a yummy way to have a snack while learning!

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...