I absolutely love this stage of learning, where everything is new and exciting. In fact, today I am going to share with you easy and fun ways to teach color. Toddlers are naturally attracted to colorful (especially shiny) things, so why not use that excitement to teach them. Learning colors is an abstract concept for young children and can take a lot of time and patience. Some children may pick it up quick and others might take a year or more to fully understand the difference in colors and be able to name them. The best thing is to apply color learning and activities in your everyday life.
O and I should give you a heads up. This might be a little long, but it is filled with lots of colorful ideas.
Our Super Easy Color Wheel!!!
This is one of Bells favorite activities.
You can make this color wheel by:
tracing a large circle onto a piece of cardboard (I used a large bowl that I had as my guide)
cut 6 pieces of different colored felt into triangles (try to make them close to the same size)
Spray the cardboard circle with spray adhesive than tack down each triangle piece
Viola!!
As for the colored items used to match the colored triangles, I just collected them from around the house. As you can see here, I tried to get some shape learning in too.
Here is the color wheel in action. For the younger children they can pick up objects using their hands, for the older children you might want to try tongs or a scooper. This helps with working their fine motor skills.
Our All time favorite blocks are the Guidecraft Rainbow Blocks
. The kids will play with them for hours. I love how you can place the blocks one in front of another and make a different color. It's awesome!!! Color mixing with out any mess. They also are incredibly beautiful when the sun is shining through them. They light up the whole room with colors.

I love to just watch the children explore these blocks on their own. It's such a lovely sight.

I love to just watch the children explore these blocks on their own. It's such a lovely sight.
Another quick and easy DIY activity.
I purchased this 6 cup muffin tin at the dollar store.
Cut circles out of construction paper, and used craft pom poms in the same colors.
Interested in teaching this activity:
I started by showing Bells how to take one ball at a time out of the bowl, look at it, then look for the matching color spot. Checking each spot for the correct color. I did this with all of the pom poms so she could get the feeling of how to do this activity. Then it was her turn. You can start out with 1-3 balls in each color and work your way up.
Easy, peasy, inexpensive activity to put together.You can also work math into your learning by making patterns. Genius!!!
How about some fun games with color cards...
1. Pick a color card and go on a scavenger hunt for things in your house.
2. Play hop to the color. Place the cards around the floor, or in a circle and have your child hop to that color as you call it out.
3. Sing songs or make up silly rhymes about each color. Hold the color card up for your child and sing/rhyme. You'll have them laughing and playing, all the while they are remembering those colors.
These color cards came from Confessions of a Homeschooler, I printed them out and laminated them for durability.It is great if you can have a few fun, educational items to use. We absolutely love our peg boards, and not only is Bells learning her colors, we are working on language development, and fine motor skills.
Calming bottles can be such a joy in any room. They brighten up a space and the children love looking at them. At the same time you can use teaching moments to talk about the colors. O and you might want to make sure the tops are hot glued on (wink, wink)
Looking for other great themes and activities for learning colors?
Click on the links below.
A week of Red and Pink, click here for the link.
Some other fun ways to stretch your color learning everyday is use colorful food and snacks. Think about an all red snack tray, or an all green breakfast. Dress your child in the color of the day outfit. Make it fun, and your little one will be a color pro in no time.
If you are interested in some of the fun things we use in our house. I added them here to make it easy for you. These are affiliate links which means you are helping my family out in our homeschooling journey. A great big thank you in advance :)
If you are interested in some of the fun things we use in our house. I added them here to make it easy for you. These are affiliate links which means you are helping my family out in our homeschooling journey. A great big thank you in advance :)
I would LOVE for you to visit me on Facebook, and follow on Pinterest. You can see thousands of other great ideas and we can have fun sharing.




.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)




Sooooo cute! How fun! How easy to do! :)
ReplyDeleteI love the color wheel! :) Super fun ideas. :) Pinned!
ReplyDeleteWe love colour! I want to come play at your place! I adore your rainbow blocks with their natural wood grain showing through.
ReplyDeleteThese are great! We really need to get more color learning into our tot school routine, and I can't wait to use some of the ideas you've listed :) How wonderful! I think that pinwheel work looks like a lot of fun. I need to pick up some more felt and get crafting!
ReplyDeleteI love the simplicity of the color wheel and the muffin tin activities! So cool!
ReplyDeleteSo cool! I will have to add this to my list. we are struggling with colors in my house.
ReplyDeleteBrilliant ideas. Looking forward to trying them out with my two year old.
ReplyDeleteThese are beautiful ideas Kim. They make me wish my kids didn't know their colors yet!
ReplyDeleteThese are awesome - I love all the colorful ideas! That color wheel and those blocks are my favorites - pinning!
ReplyDeleteFantastic ideas! Pinning!
ReplyDeleteI love the game with the cards! so easy and could be so much fun. Is there any printable that you could share?
ReplyDeleteFabulous ideas and gorgeous photos! This was my first time visiting your lovely blog and I'll be back! :)
ReplyDelete